Dunfermline Athletic

News & Events | Commemorative Plaque

On 14 June, this historic plaque was unveiled by Jim Leishman MBE at the Old Inn, to commemorate the founding there on 2 June 1885 of Dunfermline Athletic Football Club.

THE PLAQUE

Dunfermline Athletic Heritage Trust teamed up with Central Dunfermline Community Council and The Old Inn, to install a ‘blue plaque’ to commemorate the founding of Dunfermline Athletic Football Club at the Old Inn in Kirkgate, Dunfermline on 2nd June 1885.

The plaque, created by Laings Foundry of Lochgelly, was unveiled at 7.00pm on Thursday 14th June - one hundred and thirty-three years and one day (!) on from the day that Dunfermline Athletic appeared in a football match for the first time - by DAFC Director and Fife Provost Jim Leishman MBE, along with Duncan Simpson (Chair of the Heritage Trust) and Jim Stewart (Chair of Central Dunfermline Community Council. After the installation ceremony, celebrations continued in the Old Inn.

The story of the early days of DAFC is after these pictures.

THE BEGINNING

Football played under association rules was in its infancy when David Brown brought football to Dunfermline in 1874. Brown was a top class cricketer who considered that football would provide a good fitness winter activity for the members of Dunfermline Cricket Club.

By 1876, Dunfermline Football Club arranged their own fixtures, and had joined the Scottish Football Association. In 1883 the club won the inaugural Fife Cup and by 1885, the Final played at what is now McKane Park, attracted a crowd of around 2,000 when Cowdenbeath defeated the home side 2-1. Football fever had certainly caught on in Dunfermline and interest rose further when the famous Queen’s Park arrived in the town on Thursday 9th April 1885, just five days after playing in the FA Cup Final against Blackburn Rovers.

Perhaps afraid that this new sport might supersede their own, the Cricket Club soon passed a motion that, “no one be admitted a member of the football club unless he be a member of the cricket club”. With football enjoying huge success, the Dunfermline players were in no mood to be dictated to by cricket and immediately sought to form their own club and find a pitch of their own.

It is clear that those wishing to establish a new club had been active throughout May 1885 putting in place arrangements. On Saturday 30th May the first public mention of the new club came in the form of an advert in the Dunfermline Journal advising that “the members of the D.A.F.C. will meet in the Old Inn on Tuesday 2nd June at eight o’clock”.

Although the inaugural meeting of Dunfermline Athletic attracted sixty members, there is no evidence of the names of those who attended. Those present however were told that the interim committee had secured a lease of part of the Town Green, soon to be called East End Park, from the North British Railway Company. Strangely perhaps, leading member of the Cricket Club and a prominent Dunfermline citizen Mr A. R. Shearer became President of the new club, while Andrew Westwood and David Knight, both of whom had been centrally involved in the old football club, were elected as Secretary and Treasurer.

Progress was rapid and on 13th June 1885, Dunfermline Athletic played their first-ever football match. Playing in maroon jerseys and blue shorts, the team secured a 2-1 win over Edinburgh University at East End Park.

And so began the story of one of Scotland’s most famous football clubs, and one that has affected the life and times of so many people and communities in and around Dunfermline, and hopefully will continue to do so for a long time to come.



views: 338
David Ferguson Hunter VC (1891-1965)

David Ferguson Hunter VC (1891-1965)On 16 September 1918 Corporal David Hunter and the six men of his HLI platoon began a desperate struggle for survival near the village of Moeuvres in Picardie, France. Exactly one hundred years later, on 16 September 2018, the Heritage Trust and DAFC, along with the people of Fife and of Moeuvres, came together at East End Park to commemorate the achievements of “The Seven Heroes of Moeuvres” which led to Corporal Hunter being awarded the Victoria Cross and the other members of his platoon the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Read more

Record Breakers

Record BreakersDunfermline Athletic Heritage Trust has installed fifteen large display panels in the concourse of the Norrie McCathie Stand. These illustrate notable record breakers from DAFC’s history, from the club’s first international player (Andy Wilson), through the youngest-ever first team player (Alex Edwards) to the most consecutive shut-outs by a goalkeeper (Ian Westwater & Sean Murdoch).

Read more

Battle of the Somme Remembrance 2018

Battle of the Somme Remembrance 2018On 1 July 2018, the 102nd anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme, a wreath was laid at the McCrae`s Battalion cairn in Contalmaison, France, in memory of the DAFC players (Davie Izatt & Jimmy Morton) and supporters who served with McCrae`s Battalion (16th Royal Scots) and who died that day.

Read more

To top